September 14, 2010


This week I am out of the Arizona heat, and back home in Illinois. I am really excited to blog about some really special people… and a big event at the end of the week!

I am starting off my week with a trip to see my grandmother.

When we moved to Arizona over 6 years ago, knowing I wouldn’t be able to see her regularly was probably the hardest part about leaving. My Grandma is the most inspirational women in my life.

As early as I can remember, I would think “I want to be just like her”. She was the nicest most generous person.

My brother and I spend a lot of weekends and summers with my grandparents… It usually started with dinner at Hardee’s and then a trip to Jewel Osco. My grandparents would buy us anything we wanted to eat, and then we always ended in the toy isle! (some are thinking…”so Midwest”…. I know!)

Then it was a weekend or week of playing in the country yard, helping grandpa with some woodworking project he was building, and helping grandma in the garden. Oh.. there was always mowing to do! So for those of you that think I am a girly girl… I spent most of my childhood in dirt! Mud pies were made often while playing outside with my brother.

I love being able to look back and have so many great memories of my grandparents farm.

So, being here to start the week off is refreshing… no internet, phone barely works, and the weather is great.

My grandfather passed away last May… so this trip is a little different. It is just my grandmother.

She is in her late 80’s, but is still as strong as ever. Her memory is better than mine… she’s been keeping me up to date on all the latest family news, telling me about old stories, and then sharing stories about my grandfather and her.

She still has the same serving heart that she has always had. It might take her longer to cook, or find something… but she does it. I think she misses having someone to serve from day to day, but she still has her little cat (this farm cat has the life… with warm dinners and daily grooming).

When I look at my life… no matter when my final day will be, I want to leave a legacy that matters…. and to have made an impact on people’s lives that cause them to be better. I think my grandmother has done just that… Inspired all those around her to be better people by being a servant to them. I think my grandpa was a lucky man to have someone who was so dedicated to him, and I think she was lucky to have someone who was so dedicated to her.

I remember telling him at my wedding as I danced with him, that I hope I get to grow old and have a life that reflects his and grandmas.

One day, I hope my kids look back at my life and want to mimic a life that Robbie and I have built together.

PS… The funniest thing about seeing her was the fact that she got so excited to watch the Bachelor Pad! When I am in my 80’s and still watching shows like the Bachelor Pad… I will consider myself cool!

0 comments:

Post a Comment